Weird 'ghost' links?

(Einnes) #1

My site is doing something where it hangs onto an old link and then it registers as broken in a link checker. It’s not a real page anymore though - so it’s weird it even exists.

Anyhow, then I have to redo the links on the weird extra pages, but I can’t edit the pages because they don’t really exist in the system, so I have to do redirects with the redirect tool. Is this a bug maybe?

(Taylor Barnett) #2

I’m going to open up a ticket internally to look more into this.

(Taylor Barnett) #3

Can you message me some of the old links?

(Einnes) #4

I didn’t save a picture. I am not sure I can recreate it. What it was doing was it would show a page like this: https://enterprise.telesign.com/api-reference/apis/sms-api/

But it would not have the left nav and it would write it in this weird courier font. Also all the links it was pointing to would be broken. It started happening when I started using the redirect tool. What I did was make the link point to a new good link and the page went away.

(Taylor Barnett) #5

Good to know. We’ll keep an eye out for this.

(Einnes) #6

ghost_page

(Einnes) #7

Here is a graphic of a ghost page that was happening. I am about to fix it. It has something to do with redirects, I think.

(Taylor Barnett) #8

It looks like you set a successful redirect because I get https://enterprise.telesign.com/api-reference/apis/app-verify-api when I go the URL in the picture.

I’ll work on replicating this tomorrow without the redirect.

(Einnes) #9

Yes - I can’t leave the ghost page look. All the links it displays are also broken ghost links and it’s unsightly - I got a bunch of complaints about it. So when I get told one’s occurred I fix it as quickly as I can.

(Einnes) #10

I think the way you do it is you do redirects for children of that link and then you don’t have one for that parent link.

(Taylor Barnett) #11

Interesting, I’ll check it out later today and let you know what I find.

(Taylor Barnett) #12

You were on the right path with what you suspected earlier. This will happen if theres a redirect to a page that doesn’t exist but a folder that does.

For example, if you add a redirect to /api-reference/foo and that page doesn’t actually exist but /api-reference/foo/bar does, then the Hub won’t know where to go since that page wasn’t built (with HTML) so it just displays links to existing pages below it.

Right now, the only solution for this is to create a redirect for those pages.

(Einnes) #13

I don’t think this is the case because the redirects aren’t to pages that don’t exist. The redirects are to pages that DO exist. The problem is the system is creating ghost pages for the links that don’t exist at the parent level if you are doing a redirect from a child that doesn’t exist.

It’s sort of an odd bug, because technically the redirect is for pages that don’t exist, why create structure for them.

I think the way you are explaining it you have it backwards. Also, the way your system is designed /api-reference/foo would automatically be made to exist if it had a child that exists, it would list its child page if not fleshed out by the user and it would use the nice formatting you have set up. I can create an example to show that too if necessary.

I did arrive at the same final conclusion though - which is you need to create an extra redirect.