SEO - the title

(Einnes) #1

Hey - I am just checking in to find out if there are any SEO tools for Stoplight yet? Stuff like putting keywords per page, or basic SEO stuff that Google would be interested in for a site.

If you already have the tools can you point me to them? Also, if there is some kind of add-on or something I would be interested to hear about that too.

I did think about asking about this on the first post I had, but we closed it out back then and I think the per page SEO request got added to a backlog, or that is what the discussion says. Web crawling / seo

(Taylor Barnett) #2

There’s a few feature request here. I think there’s a better chance that some would get implementing sooner than others. For example, more meta tags that are per Hub could be added easier than per page.

What tags would you like added if it were per Hub? Current ones are title, description, and favicon.

Some users are doing custom HTML pages too, and they are including their own meta tags in them. Although this doesn’t really help you on a lot of your pages since you are using different ways of powering the pages for your API Reference and guides.

(Einnes) #3

I think it’d be cool if you offered something akin to Yoast. Or even if you had a way to add Yoast in.

(Taylor Barnett) #4

That gives me an idea!

Adding in SEO features probably won’t make it into the short term roadmap for right now (outside of potentially adding more metatags for a Hub). But if you find an SEO tool that has a JavaScript plugin, you might be able to include it in your Hub with the custom JavaScript feature.

(Einnes) #5

Another pretty good one is All in One SEO Pack… these plugins are fairly popular on WordPress. Yoast is the most popular.

(Taylor Barnett) #6

If you get a chance to see if they are able to be added with a JavaScript snippet. Let us know!

And if you have meta tags you’d like us to add on the Hub level, I’m happy to push to get those added. Just let me know which ones other than keywords that you’d like to see.

(Einnes) #7

had a chance - the answer is yes … https://github.com/Yoast/wordpress-seo

I would like this added because good SEO improves a site’s searchability and helps developers find what they are looking for. I’d be happy to help investigate this further if that makes it more likely to happen.

UPDATE: Bummed to report that you have to have an open source project to build Yoast into your platform. They have a page of requirements for adding their tool here: https://yoast.com/yoast-seo-platforms/your-platform/

Awww.

(Taylor Barnett) #8

I definitely agree about the SEO. That’s why I want to first make sure meta tags on Hubs are looking good before we expand beyond there.

Dang, sad to hear that.

(Einnes) #9

I was trying to research plugins but it looks like most are wordpress - you guys can’t use any wordpress plugins right? Are there any general requirements that knowing would help customers find tools you guys could consider including?

(Taylor Barnett) #10

Correct. We are a totally different tech stack than Wordpress, so it wouldn’t be possible to use them.

It’s kind of hard to say, for example some of the integrations we have are Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Segment. These are all platforms that we can integrate by including their JavaScript library in your Hub and adding the user specific credentials to it. So it would likely be another SaaS type platform that has an easy to integrate JavaScript library.

I’m not totally sure how this would work for SEO though, since most of those platforms are more on the analytics side.