Please explain the different Products

I am looking for a tool for designing a REST API.

And after a bit of searching, I’ve found stoplight. But after a bit more searching (mainly for pricing), I got confused.

What is the difference between:

Because all of the tools seem to have the same purpose.
And what also interests me is the pricing of those products. Studio seems to be free for all purposes? Next seems to cost? and App, is also free for public APIs?

I really would like some clarification. I am looking for a free tool that lets me design an API and export as openAPI v3.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance

• Benedikt
1 Like

Hi @rimaitos.lab, this is a great question. We have an article in our documentation here that covers what the specific differences are between the different products from a feature perspective. Let me know if anything is unclear after reviewing it.

Regarding your question on pricing:

• Stoplight Classic (app.stoplight.io) is legacy and should not be used for new projects

• Stoplight Next (next.stoplight.io) pricing is displayed in an organization’s billing panel, but here it is for reference:

• Studio is currently free to use for individuals. For Enterprise users, you’ll need to contact our Sales team for pricing.

I hope that helps clarify things. Let me know if anything is unclear.

Thanks for your answer!

May I aks at which moment I am an Enterprise user? May I use Studio as an individual or team for commercial products?

And are you planning on changing the pricing of Studio in the near or mid-term future?

I hope you can help me again.
Thanks in advance:

• Benedikt

Hey @rimaitos.lab, sorry I should have clarified. An enterprise user in this context is anyone who has purchased the Stoplight Enterprise product, so using Studio for commercial purposes does not automatically make you an enterprise user by default.

And we have no plans to charge for Studio by itself.

I think I’m also confused by this! Is ‘Studio’ the ‘Open Source’ platform?

I’ve been playing around in the free web based UI, which I think is ‘Studio’ (which may be the same as ‘Platform’?), but I can also see lots of documentation about adding testing suites. But based on your link of the different stoplight products (https://support.stoplight.io/hc/en-us/articles/360035390511) it looks like testing is only part of ‘Next’ (which may also be called ‘Enterprise’?)

So it looks like I can use the free Studio/Platform for the OAS v3.0 design, but since that doesn’t support testing, do I also need ‘Next’, or are there plans to add testing to ‘Studio’? Is there a free/trial version of ‘Next’?

Thanks for your help, I think I understood it now. But it seems like some others also have difficulties figuring the system out.

Best Regards

• Benedikt

Hey @PaulG regarding:

Is ‘Studio’ the ‘Open Source’ platform?

I’m not entirely sure what is meant here by “‘Open Source’ platform” (neither Stoplight product is open source), but Studio is the API designer available at the web interface:

As well as in a desktop application form here.

I’ve been playing around in the free web based UI, which I think is ‘Studio’ (which may be the same as ‘Platform’?)

I will open an issue with the team on the wording here, as I see how it is confusing. To clarify, ‘Studio’ is the API designer interface while the ‘Stoplight Platform’ is the product as a whole (which is composed of docs, mocking, explorer, etc).

it looks like testing is only part of ‘Next’ (which may also be called ‘Enterprise’?)

The first part is correct. “Next” is an older Stoplight product that is (currently) entirely separate from the new Studio/Platform product, which does provide testing functionality. We are working on an integration that will provide an easier, more straightforward migration path, but that is not yet available.

The “Enterprise” product is in reference to the latest Studio/Platform product.

So it looks like I can use the free Studio/Platform for the OAS v3.0 design, but since that doesn’t support testing, do I also need ‘Next’, or are there plans to add testing to ‘Studio’?

Next is currently the only product that provides testing functionality, however it is limited to OpenAPI v2 support only. I have updated the article to better reflect that limitation.

There are plans to add basic testing support to the latest version of Stoplight, however there is currently no timeline for those features.

Is there a free/trial version of ‘Next’?

Yes, all new Next organizations get a two-week free trial.