Google search console

idea
(Einnes) #1

Hi -

You are supposed to be able to implement Google Search Console w/ Google Analytics. I think possibly the way you guys implemented Google Analytics for Stoplight, it is preventing this. There’s a javascript snippet you insert and it’s a tiny bit different from the regular Analytics one. I am not able to get the Console to recognize my sites.

Any chance of taking a quick look?

(Taylor Barnett) #2

Hey @einnes,

I don’t know about a quick look :laughing: but we can check it out early week to see if we there’s any quick solution there. I’ll let you know what we find out.

(Erik Hansen) #3

@einnes - As a workaround, you could insert the correct Javascript snippet as “custom Javascript” in Stoplight. I have not used Google Analytics myself, but I would presume adding custom Javascript would be equivalent to what Stoplight is doing anyway.

2 Likes
(Einnes) #4

I already tried it doesn’t work.

(Einnes) #5

This is the code I’m trying to get to work:

<!-- Global Site Tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src=“https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=GA_TRACKING_ID”></script>
<script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
gtag(‘js’, new Date());

gtag(‘config’, ‘GA_TRACKING_ID’);
</script>

But I put my tracking ID in. This is slightly different than the google analytics stuff alone. Basically, I can’t get this to work in the javascript box if I take out my Google Analytics tag.

I need to be able to post this and have it recognized by Google or I can’t use search console.

I can also add this meta tag - <meta name=“google-site-verification” content=“fNC6PB0eILhC9Zmkl9X6pkYzU5ohBomFGrdPGrca6Dc” /> but that also doesn’t work.

There’s a tag manager option that doesn’t work and also uploading an HTML file for recognition by google doesn’t work either.

(Taylor Barnett) #6

You are correct, @einnes. It isn’t able to find it in the way it is implemented right now. I’ll open up a feature request to get this added in a future sprint.

We’ll see what is the best way. It might be one of the other options. I also tried them all.

1 Like
(Einnes) #7

Well that is a relief! I was like maybe I’m doing this wrong every time. If you also tested with the same results I feel a little relieved about it.

But yes it would be great to add that - that is a pretty useful SEO tool. :slight_smile:

(Einnes) #8

I’m checking back to see if there was any progress on this? I’m trying to monitor my site to look for ways to improve it

(Taylor Barnett) #9

No updates yet. There’s a lot of work going on in the next two sprints, and this didn’t make it in there.

(Taylor Barnett) #10

We may have found an easier way to fix the verification issue with Google Tag Manager when looking at this:

So hopefully I will have some good news soon. Once I test the fix, I’ll let you know.

1 Like
(Einnes) #11

A big issue at the moment is it doesn’t seem like there’s a way to have a sitemap. This would help Google crawl the site. If there’s no way to add one, then you can submit a sitemap to Google Search Console, but since there isn’t a way to have the console yet, this is off the table as well.

Docs aren’t a marketing focus, but it would be nice to have Google be aware of the sites.

(Einnes) #12

Checking back on this.